vineri, 25 octombrie 2013

I'm single, 32, healthy, and uninsured. My income is high enough that the gov't won't subsidize me, but low enough that it'll be difficult for me to afford health insurance. Here are my thoughts on Obamacare

Essentially, I'm the guy who this bill is forcing into the health insurance market, in order to spread costs from everyone else. It's going to cost me anywhere from $50-150 a month that I can't really afford. Hell, I don't even have internet at home - I'm writing from my gym.
But I support Obamacare, despite all that. Here's why.
The Nobel Prize winning economist John Harsanyi suggested that we consider all policies from behind a Veil of Ignorance. If I didn't know who I was, or my social/economic standing, my insurance status, my health status, my income, my family status, and so forth, would I consider this policy an improvement upon the status quo? I say it is.
  • Because it'll help tens of millions of people who were previously considered uninsurable to get access to the health care system.
  • It helps parents of children who are born with pre-existing conditions that made them uninsurable.
  • It forces health insurance companies to spend more money on care (at least 80% of their premiums), and less money on bureaucracy and marketing. If they don't do it, they have to send out premium rebates.
  • It creates marketplaces within which insurance companies have to compete for our insurance dollars. Which is why I feel confident that I can get a fair deal on insurance.
  • Finally, and most importantly to me, it gives me the assurance that if I or someone I love buys insurance, then gets gravely ill, the insurance company will no longer be able to rescind my coverage just when I need it.
Bottom line, this bill is expensive to me. I'll have to make some personal sacrifices and/or find ways to earn more money. But it changes our country's health care system for the better. And I'm patriotic enough and ethical enough that I'm willing to pay more out of pocket in order to ensure that all Americans have better health.
Tl;dr - Obamacare is expensive for me personally, but I still support it, because it improves the health care system for a lot of people, including me.
(edit - fixed links) (edit 2 - added tl;dr) (edit 3 - added update)
Update: Soooo...this got way bigger than I expected. I was trying to answer comments individually, but that's looking like a losing battle, so let me answer some things up here.
  1. the gym membership/internet thing - a lot of people seem to be hung up on that, which I think is a little odd. But anyway, I get free gym membership, because I teach yoga. As for the internet - yes, of course I could pay for internet. I cancelled it because I was running a deficit each month, and it was a convenient, recurrent, $45 line item. Plus, I thought it might motivate me to leave the house more. And to some extent, it has. So...yeah.
  2. My income. I make about 29K a year. As many people have pointed out to me, I will be eligible for some subsidies under Obamacare. I am not an expert on Obamacare - I'm just a guy who's thought a lot about it, and researched some, and apparently missed out on a few details. I can't change the title of this post, so don't ask...However, I think my point - I'm willing to pay more for a system that's more just for everyone - still stands up, even if the amount I pay is only 70% of what I thought it would be. If you want to know what you'll have to pay, here's a ACA Subsidy Calculator
  3. Veil of ignorance - John Rawls invented the term "Veil of Ignorance" and popularized it, but John Harsanyi did the analysis, and I'm more of an econo-nerd than a philoso-nerd. Tomato-tomahto.
  4. My estimate of insurance costs came from healthcare.gov - which is an excellent resource, and no, no one paid me to say that. :) Which reminds me...
  5. "Are you a paid shill?" I wish! Do you know how much lobbyists make? Neither do I, but I bet they get health insurance. :) Jokes aside, I'm a three-year Redditor - you can check my history, but I mostly lurk, and I had no idea this was going to take off the way it did. I'm just a regular guy who was talking with his middle-aged colleagues about this Obamacare legislation, and I made the point that if I'm not mad about this bill (the guy at the bottom of the pay scale with no health insurance who's going to have to pay out of pocket), why should they be? Apparently it's a compelling argument, because here we are at the top of r/politics! :)
  6. "Why are you clearly smart, yet such a broke ass?" Gee, thanks! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks I'm some kind of a failure. ;) I'm a computer tech at an institution of higher education. That's not a high-paying job, but 19 bucks an hour in the midwest ain't bad. I work 30 hours a week, and I make enough to get by.
Before the economy crashed, I was an analyst. I have an IQ that's pretty formidable. When I started this job in 2009, I thought it would be a short-term thing, and did a lot of side-projects to make my life more fun and interesting (improv, yoga, zumba, dating, etc). Some people went back to school to ride out the Lesser Depression. I've been learning to be a better human. I'm not unhappy with that choice. But I'm about ready to do something better with my life, so if you legitimately think I ought to be making more money, I hope you're making me a job offer. Otherwise, I'm reminded of this quote:
"Anyone who is willing to work and is serious about it will certainly find a job. Only you must not go to the man who tells you this, for he has no job to offer and doesn't know anyone who knows of a vacancy. This is exactly the reason why he gives you such generous advice, out of brotherly love, and to demonstrate how little he knows the world."

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu